At its meeting on 15 October 2010, the joint Bureaux of the UNECE Timber Committee (TC) and the FAO European Forestry Commission (EFC) decided that the theme of the joint session of the two aforementioned bodies in October 2011 will be “Forests in a Green Economy.” This special session will include discussions on concrete examples and suggested actions/recommendations in areas such as:
• Sustainable Forest Management for a green, sustainable, climate-friendly economy;
• Forest industry’s role in green building;
• Wood energy’s contribution to a sustainable energy future;
• Sustainable production and consumption;
• Valuation of forest ecosystem services: value creation through conservation and sustainable management;
• Green jobs in forestry;
• Policy and institutional frameworks conducive to achieving a green economy.
The Bureaux also agreed to develop an Action Plan on the Role of the Forest Sector in a Green Economy. The Plan is intended to provide policymakers with ideas for ways and means of improving and promoting the forest sector’s contribution to a green economy. It would address topics such as forest-based products, wood energy, sustainable forest management, valuation of ecosystem services, green building, and institutional and policy incentives.
The joint session of the TC and EFC will provide an opportunity for Member States to consider relevant recommendations for action and develop a regional perspective that could facilitate national implementation and global dialogue. Such an Action Plan could also provide a concrete contribution to the discussion on the green economy taking place during the Rio+20 Earth Summit in 2012.
To ensure that the Plan is fully inclusive, Member States, intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, the private sector and academic institutions are requested to provide input by answering the following three questions through the attached form:
Questions for the Action Plan on the Role of the Forest Sector in a Green Economy
1. What are the main topics the Action Plan should address?
2. For each topic, what should be the main objectives for increasing the role of the forest sector?
3. For each objective, what are the main actions (already taken and/or required) to increase the role of the forest sector in achieving a green economy?
The first draft of the action plan will be developed during the first quarter of 2011 and reviewed during an informal consultation meeting open to all stakeholders on 18-19 April 2011 in Geneva.